News

SLV Rent web site

posted by Veerle Pieters
11 December 2009

SLV Rent is a company specialized in sound, light, and vision. Duoh! also designed the logo, business cards, invoices, and advertisements for them. This project seemed the perfect fit to try something we didn't get to use before.

One Page Sites

This project was an interesting case to see what we as a designer could do with just a single page. The fact that our client wanted to differentiate himself from his competitors played an important role in the decision to opt for a one page site. As far as we could tell from our research none of his competitors resort to a one page site. A one page site allows visitors to see the content easily. This allowed us to create something more unique.

Harmony between typography and color

The typeface I chose for this project is Avenir, available at MyFonts. Personally I have a soft spot for a combination of using a large and sometimes bold or heavy Sans Serif font for highlights and titles in combination with a Serif font for body copy. In this example the Avenir light works very well together with Avenir Black, it creates this nice typographical contrast.

Colorful footer

I've used elements from the logo to create a composition that would serve as an eye catcher. One of the shapes I used for this is the inside of the SLV logo. The rays symbolize the light beams created by the typical equipment you see in this sector. I've played around with layer modes and transparency in Illustrator to get a rich contrast effect.

Colorful footer created with elements from the SLV Rent logo

What we did

Graphic Design, art direction, CSS/(X)HTML template development, and CMS (ExpressionEngine) development.

Comments

1. 1 6ft5 Fri Dec 11, 2009 at 01.58 pm

Beautiful work. Especially the footer made me happy but overall excellent work!

2. 2 Glenn Van Bogaert Fri Dec 11, 2009 at 04.11 pm

I’ve already looked to the result and it is in one word: magnificent. And as in all your projects: a nice color combination.

3. 3 Keith Bell Fri Dec 11, 2009 at 06.52 pm

I love that footer!

4. 4 Serge Fri Dec 11, 2009 at 07.12 pm

It looks both light and impressive. Amazingly, its lightness and impressiveness don’t clash! Balance of contrasts is just right. Thanks for all your work, duoh! Respect!

5. 5 Vincent Jaubin Fri Dec 11, 2009 at 08.23 pm

Very nice color combo/layout Veerle. I think you have found a unique way in your style to gap the space between print design and web design. This could also be a very nice magazine layout.

6. 6 Micheal Short Sun Dec 13, 2009 at 03.55 pm

Very Nice website Veerle! The only thing I would have added is a roll over effect on the Sound Light and Vision buttons.  Or maybe have made it so when you rolled over each button the corresponding element below changes to its rollover state :)  other than that, wonderful.  I love the scrolling effect and the whole design in general.

7. 7 Juan Fran Caballero Sun Dec 13, 2009 at 04.03 pm

Really nice work! it’s great to see your work again!

8. 8 Debbie Van der Mercken Sun Dec 13, 2009 at 04.16 pm

It’s really a nice result! I saw the logo already on your website, and I like the website.

9. 9 Simon Sun Dec 13, 2009 at 04.29 pm

One small remark: the submit form errors are in English while the rest of the site is in Dutch.

10. 10 lewro Sun Dec 13, 2009 at 04.30 pm

The footer is masterpiece and the gradient on header is fab as well. I also like the work with drop shadows and use of different shades of gray.

I have a question. From my experience light gray looks very different on mac as it look on pcs. How do you manage to get the closest match which looks ok in both systems. I used to change the colour mode om my mac so gray was more bluish than yellowish (which is default) but it somehow does not work for me with latest iMAcs and MBPros.

11. 11 cssdru Sun Dec 13, 2009 at 04.32 pm

Hi Veerle,

Truly nice work, as always!

12. 12 Veerle Pieters Sun Dec 13, 2009 at 04.34 pm

Simon said:

Thanks for catching that one Simon! English is the default language in EE.

lewro said:

I don’t do anything special to achieve that result. The only thing I do is calibrating my screens with ColorMunki to keep colors look accurate. I’ve talked about the ColorMunki in this article. When I export images from Photoshop with “save for web” I make sure SRGB is off. When it is on images will look different from what you have in Photoshop.

13. 13 Dragolin Mon Dec 14, 2009 at 10.30 am

Hey Veerle, strong colours in a simple background :) not too much cluttering! I like it :)

14. 14 lewro Mon Dec 14, 2009 at 10.32 am

Thanks a lot Veerle for your reply. I will have to check ColorMunki.

Looking forward to your new blog design.

15. 15 Josh Wed Dec 16, 2009 at 01.32 pm

A colourful and sophisticated looking design. I’ve been an ardent fan of your work! Can’t wait for your the unveiling of your new blog design.  :)